Monday, 30 January 2017

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Jay Shaw


1. If your book was made into a film, who would you like to see play the lead?

I think, since this is the first book of a trilogy, the parts should be played by unknowns. That way they can make a name for themselves in the role. But the most important thing would be to sign them up for the three film deal. There’s nothing worse than when they change the actors part way through.

2. What are the top three books in you TBR pile?

1) Time Thief – by Anna Hackett

2) Jack of Thorns – by Amelia Faulkner

3) Love Beyond Time – by Bethany Claire

3. If you could have one meal for the rest of your life what would it be?

Steak with mushroom sauce, fries, and salad, with cheesecake for dessert.

4. What’s your favourite knock knock joke?

Knock knock

Who’s there?

Doctor

Doctor Who?

5. What is your best childhood memory?

Playing Princess Leia with the neighbourhood kids and “flying” X-wings in our back yard.

6. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?

Ever since I was eight, I’ve always wanted to go to Italy. There’s just something about the history, architecture, food, scenery, and art that draws me in. One day, I’ll get there.

7. If you could live in a book, TV show or Movie, what would it be?

Book: Treasure Hunter Security series – by Anna Hackett

TV Show: Stargate Atlantis or Gilmore Girls

8. What motivates you to succeed as a writer?

There is two parts to this answer. The first is to write a story that allows a reader to escape their worldly worries for a time and let them walk beside characters with lives and loves they wish they had for themselves. To share the pleasure I get from writing with those who read my books. To look back on this chapter of my life and realise it was the most me time, and pat myself on the back. The second is summed up in a Stephen King quote which has stuck with me and gives me hope on cloudy days: “If you wrote something for which someone sent you a check. If you cashed the check and it didn’t bounce. And if you then paid the light bill with the money. I consider you talented.” When I received my first Amazon cheque it wasn’t a worldly sum, but it did pay a bill and it did by dinner out for my teens and me. I smiled all day long.

9. What makes you cry?

Stubbing my toe

The opening scene of Star Trek 2009 – every single time I watch it!

Chopping onions

Happy endings

Sad endings

Characters connecting in a beautifully crafted moment

10. What genre do you write in and what draws you into this genre?

I have trouble with this question. I write what I love to read and what I love to read is a book that has a little bit of everything; action, romance, adventure, strong heroines, charismatic courageous heroes, alien worlds, alternate realities, sex, m/m, m/f relationships. I love stretching my skills and I love the freedom of sci-fi, and worlds no one has explored yet, where the possibilities are endless and surprising, horrifying and full of drama and moral dilemmas. I have many contemporary stories on my to-write list too.

11. Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

If I’m writing during Nano, then yes. But usually, my focus is on completing a scene, or chapter that’s more important. Each one is like a mini book that you can write and set aside, ready to start a fresh one tomorrow.

12. What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?


As crushing as it is to receive a bad review on something that carries your blood, sweat, tears, love, and devotion; they’re important. It took me a while to realise this mind you, but bad reviews can do potential readers a great service. Together with the good ones they give a balanced portrayal of your book. And someone’s detractors will always be someone else’s enticements. On the upside, someone read your book, and took the time to leave a review, that’s awesome in itself. What bugs the hell out of me, is spoilers in reviews. If you did/didn’t enjoy something in the plot, don’t blow-by-blow it in your review and spoil the story for others.

____________________________________



Helicopter pilot, Julia Swift, lives her life from one rescue to the next. Unlucky in love, she longs for a lover who resembles the hero of her favorite space show, Phoenix Rising.

When an injured man falls through a portal and lands on her local beach, it seems the universe has granted her wish. Not only does Colonel Mark Holden resemble the fictional military commander, he also bears his name.

Despite the incredulity of their situation, Mark and Julia share an inexplicable connection. They realize they have spent their whole lives searching for each other. But when Mark’s team comes to rescue him, Julia must choose. Will she stay behind? Or will she travel with a man she hardly knows, to the fictional Dragonus Galaxy? A world brought to life in an alternate reality…

BUY

About Jay



Jay Shaw is a New Zealand author, a mum of two teens, and a lover of books.  She’s an incurable romantic who stays up early and sleeps in late, writes in bed, loves both action and romance movies, survives on a diet of M&Ms, bottled water, and steak with mushroom sauce.  There have been days where she dances around her lounge with the music turned up loud.  Jay has a preference for tall, dark-haired, handsome military men in thigh holsters and combat boots, but isn’t opposed to the occasional shirtless cowboy in tight denim.  Her favourite books to write are fantasy and sci-fi stories about characters who will, ultimately, find their one great love.  A love that all of time and space will lie down and be still for.


No comments:

Post a Comment