Wednesday, 15 February 2017

Dusty Pages Review: Pop Goes The Weasel

A man's body is found in an empty house. His heart has been cut out and delivered to his wife and children.
He is the first victim, and Detective Inspector Helen Grace knows he will not be the last. But why would a happily married man be this far from home in the dead of night?
The media call it Jack the Ripper in reverse: a serial killer preying on family men who lead hidden double lives.
Helen can sense the fury behind the murders. But what she cannot possibly predict is how volatile this killer is - or what is waiting for her at the end of the chase...

The second Helen Grace novel is as well written and captivating as the first. They often say that sequels are never as good as the first but in this case there is no one I think out there that could say that about this book.

I was happy to see the lives of the characters from the first book continuing, coming to terms with the trauma they all went through. I was increasingly behind the heroine even though she comes off sometimes as hard and unforgiving. She's a woman in a male dominated field and showing weakness is an instant career killer.

Once again I did not guess the killer before the cops - which I loved. I like to be completely in the dark with these sorts of books, if I can work it out before a third of the way through I get bored waiting for the character to catch up. I am eager to read the next installment in this series to see how things develop further. And I would love to see a certain reporter  Emilia Garanita *cough* Bitch *cough* get what she deserves.

I give it



No comments:

Post a Comment