Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Dusty Pages Review: Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow impossible though it seems they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows


I picked this book up only after seeing the movie (as is my way, movie first, book after - I have my reasons) but picked up the original cover version as I strongly dislike movie cast covers on books. The book is better than the movie with several things that are very different but with a lot more content. From the way the book ends it appears to me that, some elements from the second or third book might have been included in the movie, to give it a more rounded feel.

I loved the characters and interactions in this book, there is even a tiny bit of romance to lighten some of the darkness. I would have thought with source material like this that Tim Burton could have made a creepier movie. There is some darkness in this book and the authors imagination was on full display. I read it in just over five hours (with the odd interruption) and am deeply looking forward to reading the next one.

I give it



No comments:

Post a Comment