Monday, 3 April 2017

Improper use of Tarot in Fiction


As a writer of paranormal fiction, I make sure to do as much research into a topic I am intending to use as I can. I haven't yet ventured into the world of Tarot mainly because a lot of media has had a tendency to instill the general populace with incorrect information.

The biggest example of this is with the tarot card Death. I can't count how many times I've read in a book or seen it in a TV program where someone goes to have a reading and they draw the Death card then immediately get all panicky because this means they are going to die.

If you do the research into the art of Tarot reading you will find that the Death card, whether normal or reverse does not definitely mean physical death, it doesn't even usually mean that. The Death card symbolizes endings and new beginnings. This can mean anything whether it be the end of money trouble and new prosperity, the end of one relationship and the beginning of something else, or just the change in your current situation.

Anyone who believes the Death card means your ticket is up and you cannot avoid fate, forgets that we humans are creatures of free will. I'm not entirely sure why it should be called Death at all, except for perhaps that some people do not adapt to change well.




No comments:

Post a Comment