Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Dusty Pages Review: Kiss the Dead/Beauty

My name is Anita Blake and I am a vampire hunter and necromancer, as well as a US Marshal. So when a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it's up to me to find her.

And when I do, I'm faced with something I've never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people - kids, grandparents, soccer moms - all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving their vampire master. And where there's one martyr, I know there will be more...

But even vampires have monsters that they're afraid of. And I'm one of them...


If you intend to read these books, just buy the Kiss the Dead Paperback as Beauty is tagged along at the back as an extra. I made the mistake of purchasing the two separately -sighs-.
Kiss the Dead has a good blend of the police work and the sex. Being out of the series for as long as I was, I found I had forgotten lots of names and who is dating who, so I got a little confused in places and had to re-read several passages.

Beauty is about four chapters long and is mostly a deleted sex scene between Jean-Claude, Asher and Anita in the bathtub under the Circus of the Damned. It is what it is and while it is very enjoyable, it was hardly worth the additional price I paid especially as in Kiss the Dead a whole different direction is taken. One I am actually pleased to see - Asher getting put in his place or out on his ear (well, a trial separation really). He's always been a sexy character but so melodramatic and moody, its about time they stopped letting him get away with so much crap.

Sin bothers me. I don't know if that's just because he bothers Anita, but I am glad to see that she isn't blaze about shacking up with someone who she defines as under aged. That said there are plenty of characters we don't get to see, ones I miss - Richard, Jason, London, Damian - hoping that they will show up in another book soon.

I give them both



No comments:

Post a Comment