Monday, 5 June 2017

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

...Romarin Demetri



1. Tell me about your book “A Mirror Among Shattered Glass” and where you got your inspiration for it?

“A Mirror Among Shattered Glass” is a protagonist’s journey to uncover the secrets of her past, having been adopted from London, England. The journey to self is confusing and heart-breaking, but also filled with humor and sarcasm. On Romarin’s trip to her place of origin, she is finally able to tell her secret to a few choice friends and decide who she wants to be in spite of her out-of-control powers. The mood of the story is set by the castle Romarin and her misfit friends live in, and the suspenseful twists of her slow to warm housemates propel the plot forward as Romarin has no choice but to come to terms with being the progeny of Countess Bathory. The story is character driven, with complex, tortured, but ultimately helpful characters that become cognizant of the choices they can make with their new found freedom. None of these characters can warm up overnight (think more like book two), but they will find that one stranger can change their lives forever—if she can sort out her own identity first.

2. If you could have one meal for the rest of your life what would it be?

I love red curry, though I do think I’d get sick of it eating it every day. Where I live, it seems like we didn’t get Thai restaurants until two years ago.

3. Mountains or the beach?

The beach!

4. If you could live in a book, TV show or Movie, what would it be?

Charmed is my favorite TV show to date, but if I could live near my friends or family instead of San Francisco, that would be great! I always wanted long hair and a black SUV like Piper Halliwell when I was growing up. She’s so down to earth and her character really grows.

5. In what ways do you hold yourself back?

As a writer, I hold myself back from self-editing and contract editing services instead. Creative writing and editing are two different beasts, and even though I’d love to put out six books back to back, I think editing is invaluable and I’d rather put out an edited product for readers.

6. If you could time travel, would you go to the past or the future?

I just started a book series that takes place in about twenty years or so, so I’d like to go to the future and see if my predictions on technology are accurate!

7. What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?

I view them in a positive/negative light. Bad reviews to me are reviews in which a book is completely misconstrued—as in the talking points are false and never actually happened. It was eye opening to see that a “bad” review could be built on a misreading of a book, but it definitely happens. As far as negative reviews go, I don’t leave below a three when I review books, because it’s not helping anyone. If a book is horrible I decline to leave a review. As an author, I love positive and good reviews and I love to read them!

8. Do you think giving away books for free works and why?

If an author has an extensive catalogue, a free book can help someone find them, or get an author noticed if they top the sales charts with their free book. When readers expect books for free it doesn’t help anyone. Think of the sheer amount of time an author put into writing a book. It’s remarkable to think of all those hours a person put in, and I’m happy to pay for a book considering the work, research, and time in general.

9. What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author?


All criticism helps! I read a review once that said my characters didn’t feel real, and I was surprised, because I build a story starting with the characters, and have been with them for six books now. They all have distinct appearances, manners of speaking, and fears—which is as real as you can get. Their powers are based on psychological disorders which lends a since of reality, even though you don’t have to be a psych major to enjoy the book. They also have pinterest boards. I think that sometimes we want to see a new friend grab our main character by the hand and say “I just met you, and now we’re going to be friends forever,” but in my experience, it takes time, and I think the way Romarin doesn’t get along with her housemates at first is more real than instant friendship or love. Some people cannot relate to characters who come from troubled pasts, but I digress, and there are no shopping and trying on clothes montages in this book series.

10. Anything you would like to say to your readers and fans?

Thank you! Thank you so much for reading my series and caring about what happens to our new friends! I am so happy to have you as readers. If you keep reading, I keep writing, and I’d love to share a huge message of resilience and choice with you in The Supernatural London Underground Series and remind you of your own strength.
____________________________________

Unable to contain the deadly nature of her family secret and powers, nineteen year old Romarin Demetri hails from California, USA to unearth her heritage as a descendant of serial-killer Countess Bathory, the woman that lent Dracula his legend, and cursed Romarin with an appetite for blood. Unenthusiastic about relocating to her birth city of London, a charming paranormal investigator with claim to the throne could change her mind, as he leads her to the only living and distant relative she has: A raven-haired recluse named Talia, who has taken refuge in an old castle in the heart of the city, and doesn’t seem to have a heart of her own. After a rough introduction to the lethal, inappropriate, and enchantingly sarcastic people Romarin calls her housemates, perhaps the other misfits will be her first true friends; however, as much as these people are like her, they still have hidden vendettas, a taste for revenge, and will struggle between what is just and what will settle their psychological upheaval. There is only one way for Romarin to become part of the Supernatural London Underground: Can she be the one who challenges them to put down their ghosts and demons and make their world together?

BUY

About Romarin

Romarin Demetri, author and creative force, is a story crafter who loves black coffee and traveling abroad. When her characters come home in some sort of trouble, Demetri swears she didn’t invent it. Pulling from her Bachelor of Arts  in English and Psychology, her debut series, The Supernatural London Underground, is a blend of fantasy ground in reality and a world  readers can truly escape to. As an eccentric and reader, she still enjoys creating the alternate reality in her urban fantasy series (more than anything!), and her interactive world waits for you at RomarinDemetri.com.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/37886652-romarin-demetri
Blog: https://romarindemetri.wordpress.com/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RomarinDemetri
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/Romarindemetri/ 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RomarinDemetri
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/romarindemetri

1 comment: