Monday, 17 July 2017

Meet A Writer Monday Presents...

... Tracy Gilmore



1. Tell me about your book, In Exchange for Jackie, and where you got your inspiration for it? 

We were moving and the idea came to me. I started writing that very night and had to stop every so often to help finish packing. In the story Jackie is a ‘plain Jane’ type woman. In the beginning she felt like most women when finding an attractive man to marry and thought the loving way Mitch treated her would never end. She had it all. A stately home, two grown children in college and a loving husband. It wasn’t until over 20 years pass that she knew it was a mistake. When he informs her he doesn’t love her anymore and has a new woman, she didn’t raise a fuss. Which was what he wanted. She agreed to part ways and move on. When she was taken from her doorstep and the kidnappers called Mitch for a ransom he refused to pay and said if they were going to kill her, then do so and let him know where to dump the body. When Jackie hears this over the speaker phone she is shocked.

The kidnappers are stumped as to what to do with her since the ransom won’t be paid but then that’s where the action begins. Jackie may be a plain Jane but when she has to fight her kidnapper she could become the woman she was meant to be.

2. Have you ever danced in the rain? 

Yes I have. I also included the scene in one of my books. Hypnotik: The Curses of Ashley Peyton.

3. What is the longest you’ve gone without writing? 

I had writers block for about 3 months. It was a nightmare. I sat and stared at my laptop for a while and wouldn’t have an idea. I would then either read a book or do some crochet. It helps me to think. If I have an idea or a line I keep a notebook beside me to make notes on.

4. Mountains or the beach? 

I have always had this vision of a large cabin with a fireplace made from stones by a lake with a view of snow-capped mountains.

5. In what ways do you hold yourself back? 

I second guess myself. When reading over a book I start from the beginning every time and I have doubts about lines and phrases believing they don’t sound as good as I think they do or that a scene doesn’t bring out the emotion I created.

6. What motivates you to succeed as a writer? 

I can be the first to admit promoting my work is a hard job on top of all else I need to do. My motivation comes in spurts. I could write all day and night if that was the only thing I had to do. My brain functions differently so having to advertise and market and other things to get my book out there are a distraction to me writing.

7. What genre do you write in and what draws you into this genre? 

It took some time to discover what genre I write in. There are so many categories. As a Contemporary Erotic Author I just write what comes to me but as I read more I can write in any genre. Erotic SciFi is my newest creation. Paranormal will be next and I will keep going from there.

8. Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day? 

I never aim for a set of words. I never know how long or short a book will be. I type until the voices stop talking. I don’t work on just one book. I have several I work on at the same time so I am always adding to each of them.

9. Do you let a book stew – leave it for a month and then come back to it to edit? 

This is an important part of writing. When I finish a story, I let it sit for a while before I send it to the editor. There may be a line or two I need to add or remove or just to see if the story flows as it should. Although I have proof readers I still like to make sure the book is as good as I believe it to be.

10. Do you think the cover plays an important part in the buying process? 

Yes. The cover is an important part of the process. It is what draws the readers attention to wanting to read they synopsis for the story but there are some covers that were appealing and the story itself was lacking what the cover led you to believe was an exciting story.

11. What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews? 

I have nothing against a bad review. If anything the reader can shed some light on what I may have missed as a writer. I have received one bad review so far and the readers complaint was there was too much sex and not enough action in the story. But when asking other readers about the story they complained it took too long for the characters to have sex. People are entitled to their opinion. As an author I just look forward to getting a review. They are hard to come by.

12. Have you written any other books that are not published? 

Yes. I am constantly thinking of new story ideas which I jot down on paper and then when I have filled enough pages I add it to my laptop story pile. Do you intend to publish them? IT is my intention to publish all I have and to republish a few that are a few years old.

13. What has your experience been like as a new Indie Author? Bruises, Highlights, and lessons? 

Being an Indie author is hard work. Don’t let anyone fool you into thinking this is an easy process. Some people have the knack for organization and keeping fans abreast of their activities and keeping upbeat 24/7. Not all Indie Authors are the same. Given the option I would rather hire someone to do marketing for me so I can focus on writing. But in order to get myself out there and have a company pick me up I have to do the leg work and build my own following. Every day is a learning lesson as an Indie Author.

14. Do your characters seem to hijack the story or do you feel like you have the reigns of the story? 


Alex from Hypnotik was the roughest character I had to deal with. He woke me at 4 am every day to write and then had me up until midnight.

15. Do you have a day job in addition to being a writer? If so, what do you do during the day? 

I do have a full time job. I am a Quality Lab tech. When you look at your laptop, cellphone or anything that requires assembly. I am the one that measures each and every part to make sure they all fit together. All the screws, the holes, the size of the casing.

________________________________________


Jackie has the perfect life. A loving husband, two successful boys, and a beautiful stately home. With her calm expressions and soft voice, she gives into the indulgences of her husband Mitch, and for a long time, they are very happy.

Meanwhile James has had a hard life, never knowing where his next meal will come from or his next job. His short tempered flares keep him from having anything worth of value for too long. But all of that is about to change. After spending nights watching home after home, James comes across what he believes is the perfect plan. An abduction.  What's the worst that can happen?

Jackie does what she can to stay alive, using skills she never had to rely on, doing things she never thought of. When she is confronted with the worst of her fears, her husband doesn't want to pay the ransom, she does the unthinkable.

James didn't have enough to take care of himself, let alone a woman he had no intentions of keeping, what will he do now that he cant let her go? Unexpected alliances are made, betrayals of epic proportions are discovered and when the dust settles, will Jackie survive the onslaught of James with his explosive temper or will she be able to turn the beast of a man into a beauty she would want to keep for herself?

BUY

About Tracy

Tracy has always had a love of writing and often wrote on whatever she could find but many of her stories were beginnings and not full stories. The concept of publishing a book was not something that she considered until there was so much of it to read. Through trial and error she came across a method to allow others to enjoy the reading of her work as much as she loves to write. She married her High School sweetheart and together they have two children.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TracyHGilmore           
Blog: http://tracyhgilmore.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tracy-H-Gilmore-1482896085274937/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7923307.Tracy_Gilmore




No comments:

Post a Comment