Another year older if not wiser. Today I answered questions from the Meet A Writer List that were picked randomly by people on Facebook.
1. What is the longest you’ve gone without writing?
About Six months. I had a very dry patch where life was just getting in the way and stressing me out so much that I couldn’t pick up a pen without throwing it down in a huff moments later. I wasn’t much fun to be around.
2. What do you think Victoria’s secret is?
Adipose. Gotta be.
3. How important to you view maintaining your twitter account?
Its probably more important than I think it is. I try to tweet something every day though to be honest I’m never sure what to tweet or how many people it actually reaches. I also don’t want to end up being one of those people who tweets about what they are having for dinner just to tweet about something. If you want to follow me I’m @SonnetODell
4. What is your best childhood memory?
I really have a lot of trouble remembering things…especially that far back lol. I can remember going to Flambards as a kid and thinking that was pretty cool. For anyone who doesn’t know, Flambards is a theme park down Devon/Cornwall.
5. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
I have a long list of places that I want to go, so picking one place would be really hard. I’m actually in the middle of planning a trip to Japan which was the top runner, so I guess the next one down would be New Zealand and why, because I’ve seen it in so many films, it looks beautiful there.
6. What was your most defining moment in life?
I think I am still waiting for this or else I’ve had it and didn’t realise. Lol.
7. If you had to choose to live without one of your five senses, which would you give up and why?
I suppose smell. There are plenty of things out there that I wish I didn’t know what they smelt like but there are lots of good smells too. However I think it would be the easiest of the five to live without.
8. If you could live in a book, TV show or Movie, what would it be?
I’m trying to think of a TV show or Movie I liked where I probably wouldn’t have ended up dead within the first five minutes. I think for a book I would quite like to live in Harry Potter, as long as I got to be a wizard instead of a muggle.
9. If you could time travel, would you go to the past or the future?
I think it would be cool to be able to take a time travel tour of the past, as long as you remembered to stay out of things and just observe.
10. How would you survive a Zombie apocalypse?
Pretty sure I would be dead within the first couple of days. I can’t run for shit.
11. Do you let a book stew – leave it for a month and then come back to it to edit?
I do let it stew but not for a month. Usually I give it a week and bit. Enough to clear my head and come back to it with somewhat fresher eyes.
12. Do your characters seem to hijack the story or do you feel like you have the reigns of the story?
There are sometimes when the characters are like “Hey! I’m talking here and you will listen to every damn word I have to say.” and others times they can be like “Nah, we’re cool. Write what you like.”
13. What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
I’ve had a couple of people tell me that I don’t put enough description into my work and that I tend to describe women in more detail than men. I can only say two things, yes you’re right and I am working on it. Comments like that, that aren’t just being mean for the sake of it, help me to improve myself, so I don’t mind them really.